The following recipe was part of my gluten free special on the German blog recently. It’s taken (with slight changes) from the book “Zauberhafte Weihnachtsbäckerei – glutenfrei”.
Gluten free, low histamine millet cookies with lactose free option
ca. 25 minutes + ca. 20-25 minutes in the oven
ingredients for 1 baking tin:
- 40g millet OR ca. 100g cooked millet
- 1 egg yolk
- ca. 55g soft butter OR coconut oil (I mixed both)
- 70g raw cane sugar OR coconut sugar
- 100g corn starch
- 100g browntop millet flour
- 1/2 package gluten free baking powder
- 25g homemade vanilla sugar
- 1/2 tsp. gingerbread seasoning (if tolerated only, otherwise try spices you can tolerate, the original recipe uses 1 tsp. ground ginger)
- powdered sugar (from raw cane sugar) to scatter on top
- Cook millet 1:3 in water (1 part millet on 3 parts water), let it simmer 10-15 minutes, remove from stove and leave to sit for another 30 minutes. Stir occasionally and leave to cool down.
- Preheat oven to 180°C and prepare a baking tin with baking paper.
- Mix the cold millet with egg yolk, butter/oil, sugar, vanilla sugar, corn starch, spices, baking powder and browntop millet flour in a large bowl.
- Form small balls from the dough (about a heaped teaspoon size). Set the balls on the baking tin and bake for about 20 to 25 minutes on the medium rack in the oven.
- After that set the cookies on a cooling rack and scatter powdered sugar on top.
(c) The Histamine Pirate